Data management involves all stages of the digital data life cycle including capture, analysis, sharing, and preservation. The focus of the DOE Office of Science Statement on Digital Data Management is sharing and preservation of digital research data. The Office of Science affirms that the following principles related to the management of digital research data directly support fulfillment of its mission.
Effective data management has the potential to increase the pace of scientific discovery and promote more efficient and effective use of government funding and resources. Data management planning should be an integral part of research planning.
Sharing and preserving data are central to protecting the integrity of science by facilitating validation of results and to advancing science by broadening the value of research data to disciplines other than the originating one and to society at large. To the greatest extent and with the fewest constraints possible, and consistent with the requirements and other principles of this Statement, data sharing should make digital research data available to and useful for the scientific community, industry, and the public.
Not all data need to be shared or preserved. The costs and benefits of doing so should be considered in data management planning.
- DOE Office of Science: Statement on Digital Data Management
- DOE HEP: Additional Guidance for Digital Data Management
- DOE Office of Science Digital Data Management: FAQ
- Study Group for Data Preservation and Long Term Analysis in High Energy Physics (DPHEP)
- Kristin Briney’s slides on Creating a Data Management Plan
This page lists the current data management plans for Cosmic Frontier projects. The information is subject to change.
- ADMX Summary of Data Management Principles
- DES Summary of Data Management Principles
- DESI Data Management Plan
- eBOSS Data Management Plan
- LZ Summary of Data Management Principles
- SDSS-III/BOSS Data Processing, Archiving, and Distribution
- SPT Summary of Data Management Principles
- SuperCDMS Summary of Data Management Principles
This page lists the current data management plans for Energy Frontier projects. The information is subject to change.